Sunday, November 6, 2016

Walking Bravely


1Corinthians 116: 13-14 - Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. Let all that you do be done with love.

Sometimes it is very difficult to stand fast in our faith.  As I mentioned in my previous post, we are always concerned with other people think that it hinders our walk with God.  It allows us to weaver and falter in our path because our fear of who others would think or say keeps up from being brave and walking the "road less traveled" so to speak.  We don't want to go against the grain but many times that is exactly what God is asking us to do.  I know there are things God asks me to do and I simply try to negotiate with Him telling Him I am not brave enough or I just can't do what He's asking.

Why is it that we have such a hard time following what God asks us to do but instead try to negotiate out of it or try to make things happen according to our terms?  "okay God I will do that, but I will do it this way instead of how you want it."  "But God, that doesn't fit into my comfort zone, or my plan for the next couple of years."  I wonder if the apostles did the same thing.  When Jesus asked John to leave his fishing nets and follow Him, did John try to reason with him and negotiate a terms of agreement?  Did they have as hard of a time with bravely following Jesus as we do?  Did they worry about what other people would think of them? Or whether or not they could do it?

It is easy to let everything I do be done in love, that's not the hard part.  The hard part is being brave and strong to step forward and outside of my comfort zone.  Sometimes I wonder what have I missed because I was not brave enough?  What good have I sacrificed because I was too afraid to listen when God said "hey do this"  I know I need to be braver, to give up the things that are hindering myself from walking bravly down the path that God wants me to.  But am I strong enough to do that?  I allow my fears to get the better of me, even now as I type this.  I am not sure where my future is going to take me, or how often I will continue to try and reason with God, but I am willing to try and see,.

No comments:

Post a Comment